Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing more than 21,000 members nationwide. ABC of Metro Washington was the second chapter in the nation, chartered in 1958, and ranks in the top 10 chapters nationwide.
Based on the merit shop philosophy, ABC helps members develop people, win work and deliver work safely, ethically and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which they work.
To protect and enhance the merit shop philosophy within the construction industry, to advocate for the industry, promote member excellence in safety, and to engage members to succeed in a changing marketplace.
ABC of Metro Washington is the pre-eminent advocate for fair and open competition and the merit shop philosophy, and the premiere construction association in the metropolitan Washington, DC area.
- ABC values the free-market system as the basic premise of economic freedom.
- ABC believes in open and fair competition.
- ABC values a commitment to continually strive to attain the highest standards of performance in business and construction.
- ABC believes in strength in diversity and inclusiveness.
- ABC values personal and corporate integrity and trust.
- ABC values industry and personal professionalism.
- ABC values good corporate citizenship.
- ABC values lifelong learning and a commitment to developing the future and current workforces.
- ABC values good stewardship and fiscal responsibility in the leadership and management of the association.
- Perpetuate and defend the free enterprise system and the merit shop philosophy by participating in the democratic process.
- Deliver programs and services that have a direct, positive and measurable effect on our members’ prosperity.
- Promote business development by providing members with networking opportunities.
- Promote craft and management training of employees.
- Effectively communicate the services and benefits of membership, and encourage member participation and involvement in the association.
- Promote for mutual benefit majority, women and minority members.
- Improve industry practices.
- Improve where we live and work through our members' active community service.
ABC of Metro Washington's Bylaws